- Before the pitcher begins a bullpen session, have the focus be on creating timing and getting the legs moving by having a catch (from the rubber).
- From the stretch position, have the pitcher draw a line between the front and back foot.
- The first move from this should be to first step with the landing foot followed by the back foot.
- The cadence: front foot step, back foot step, throw. Do this without a ball for the first few times, to get used to the mechanics.
- The idea is to get a good rhythm going while also developing the feel of keeping the weight on the back leg (and not getting in front of the throw).