- Although the 13–15 age range is more physically mature than 12-U, the distance during long tossing still needs to be monitored—and limited, as needed.
- Coaches, focus on the proper mechanics first and then let that determine the distance.
- The head/neck is the first to go: During the throwing motion, if the head begins to tilt (neck strain), the distance is too far.
- The player should be able to throw to their partner’s body within an arms’ width up, down, and side to side.
- Remember: Do not sacrifice mechanics over distance—the distance comes with the strength of the player as they continue to mature.