- Omar likes to “walk in” to his fielding stance
- Simple half step and settle in to the balls of your feet (toes)
- Body control and balance are important here so as to ensure you can cover the most ground
- When pitchers start to work in and out, it’s important for the infielders to know. They’ll be able to “settle” in to their pre-pitch position with the anticipation of the ball being hit in a certain direction.
- Avoid leaning one direction or another. If the ball is hit the opposite way you are leaning, it will be very difficult to regain, change direction and make a play.
- Always teach your young infielders to expect the ball to be hit to them. Will help them stay in tune with the game.
- Correct “leaning” immediately. Keep them balanced and in the middle. Younger players really like to lean.
- Stance is similar to taking a lead off in terms of balance and giving the athlete the ability to go in either direction as quickly as possible.
WATCH the Video: You can share this and other videos with your players. Bring it to practice on your I-Pad, Mobile device, or laptop computer.