- This drill is designed to focus on the catcher’s receiving technique: controlling the white part of the plate.
- The catcher should start in the secondary (receiving) position. If needed, take breaks and refresh the legs.
- For the practice partner or coach: lightly toss the ball—left, center, right—to the catcher, simulating a pitch.
- Make sure the catcher is controlling the glove-side arm slot, keeping the elbow to be free of restrictions.
- Reiterate the proper receiving technique as if the catcher had on a glove: keep the thumb underneath the ball!