- This drill focuses on the catcher’s arm-side receiving—including breaking pitches that rotate away, or down, from the zone.
- Work on framing the pitch before it drops or slides off the corner of the plate: receive against the ball when it’s on your throwing side.
- Working against the ball means getting the glove underneath the ball and move glove slightly upward.
- Subtle movement: don’t jerk the ball back into the zone; that might predetermine (to the umpire) that it’s not a strike.
- When receiving/framing pitches in this scenario, it helps to catch the ball as close to the hitter as possible—meeting the pitch when the rotation is still in the strike zone.
- Receiving late: sway with your body and don’t allow the motion to twist your frame out of the strike zone.