- The Crane Drill is an excellent tool that not only helps develop but also builds power with the leg drive.
- Balance first: Have the pitcher get in a power gather in a power position by raising the driving knee up, and holding that pose.
- Get into an athletic load, with the toe pointing toward the target and the ankle, leg, and glutes in a proper bend.
- Drive the raised leg and arms back to ensure a correct load on the pivot leg.
- To complete the Crane Drill, rock back once, and then drive out toward the plate— don’t forget to drive the arms and legs at the same time, and in the same direction!
- Place cones beyond the pitcher’s landing foot: this will make sure the pitcher keeps their Powerline.
- Once they get the hang of the drill, increase the difficulty by rocking back twice—holding longer—before going toward the plate.