Pitch Counts – Part 1
- We have an epidemic of arm injuries in our youth players
- These injuries, typically, are not the fault of the player
- These injuries are caused, by and large, by overuse and fatigue
- With pitch counts, most of the time the throws that are counted are only the throws made from the mound during the game to a batter.
- Teams are playing multiple games in a day and often times back to back days of multiple games.
- What doesn’t get counted are:
- The warm up throws made before the game
- The warm up pitches made in the bullpen
- The warm up pitches made between innings
- The warm up throws made between innings when not pitching
- The throws made during the game that are made from a position other than pitching
- Pick-off attempts