- “Read” the ground ball means to see where the ball is going before reacting
- Don’t charge the ball with out the need to charge. Hard hit balls will be very difficult to get to if you’re charging them.
- Ball should be fielded in the middle of the body.
- Field the ball with slight momentum going towards the direction of the anticipated throwFor example – No runners on base, ideally your shortstop would be fielding a groundball with some momentum going to first base.
- Often times, coaches will keep their eye on the ball they are hitting, try to pick up the movement of your infielders as quickly as possible. This will help you better understand their needs here.
- Youth players are often told to charge the ball when there is no need to. Charging the ball limits range of the fielder. Only instruct your infielders to charge the ball when they need to.
WATCH the Video: You can share this and other videos with your players. Bring it to practice on your I-Pad, Mobile device, or laptop computer.