- Youth pitchers need to focus on repeating mechanics and throwing strikes.
- Youth pitchers should learn to control the strike zone—before trying to throw hard!
- During the release, having the fingers on top of the ball, and the wrist out front and on top will help with throwing strikes.
- There are two leading causes for a flat release sideways movement:
- Pulling the front shoulder out of the way (overexerting), leaving the arm angle to overcompensate by releasing around the body.
- The head gets forward too soon (also overexertion), causing the throwing arm to overexaggerate catching up with the rest of the body.