- When it comes to receiving a throw from the catcher during a steal attempt, there two mina ways—the first is to straddle the bag.
- Get there early and set up in an athletic position, the fielder’s chest pointing toward the runner/first base.
- Don’t swipe or reach with the tag: it’s a quick play, which means the fielder needs to make the tag as quickly as possible—straight down with the glove.
- Make sure the receiver is reading the throw from the catcher, too—if it’s not perfect (which happens), the fielder must be prepared to leave the base in order to finish the play.
- Let the ball get deep: A baseball’s speed will be quicker than the swipe—again, that half second might be the difference between a safe call or an out.
- Stay out of the basepath when receiving the ball!