- A common mistake that shortstops make when making an off-balance feed to second base on a play to the glove-hand side is the infielder tries to turn the body.
- Turning, twisting, or stopping during the feed only takes away time and can cause control issues with the feed.
- When shortstops make that feed, they should use a reverse dart throwing motion with follow through that is completed by allowing their momentum to continue past the play.
- Keep a stiff wrist and arm during the feed: breaking the wrist and/or arm during the toss will affect accuracy.
- Don’t stop your momentum after the throw. Allow the body’s energy to carry on past the play—incorporate a slight jump when making the feed, if needed, so the hip/legs don’t lock up.