- Creating distance with the pitcher’s stride is often made more difficult because of an improper stride.
- To avoid getting out in front of the body, which can cause bad posture and affect velocity, the pitcher should focus on creating an up-and-out angle with the lead foot.
- A helpful tip: have the pitcher focus on showing the catcher the bottom of the foot during the stride.
- In the Coach Kick Drill, the idea is to build muscle memory by having the pitcher feel the necessary angle needed during the stride.
- The pitch is not the important factor with this drill, so try it a few times without a ball.
- Once the pitcher has got it down, then progress to using a ball and completing a live pitch.