- To help with the positioning of the third baseman, know the situation—usually runners on first and second.
- Depending on the pace of the bunt and location, the third baseman will either take charge and field the ball, or retreat and cover the bag.
- When it’s almost a perfect bunt, sometimes the only option the third baseman has to field the ball is a barehanded play.
- When fielding the ball barehanded, kept the hand fully open (fingers ready to grip the ball) and allow the arm to naturally go back into the throwing motion. Don’t STAB at the ball.
- Again: know the situation and communicate with the pitcher!